"How can we start a credit union?" This was the discussion on a hot August day in 1951. A group of civilian employees at Fort Eustis discussed the need to eliminate the high interest rates of "loan sharks" that preyed on the employees at Fort Eustis. An agreement was reached, application made, and on September 20, 1951, the charter (No. 7448) of the Fort Eustis Federal Credit Union was approved.
The elected treasurer carried the approximate $500, collected initially from the original charter members, in a cigar box together with the account register. Loans were made to any civilian employee of Fort Eustis without a credit check and based solely on trust. This promising beginning epitomized the credit union motto "People helping people." 1st Advantage Federal Credit Union, formerly Fort Eustis Federal Credit Union, has grown from a cigar box with $500 to an organization with assets over $500 million and nearly 60,000 members located around the world.
1st Advantage Credo
Mission: We will enhance the value of membership.
Vision: We will be the most trusted advisor of financial services in our community.
- Integrity: We do the right thing, demonstrating honesty and fairness in every action we take.
- Trust: We understand that transparency and integrity are the foundation of building relationships. We keep our word, striving to live our values and be trust-worthy advisors.
- Hard Work & Dedication: We believe in a strong work ethic and a sense of urgency. We are dependable and we work as a team to anticipate needs and meet them.
- Passion: We demonstrate excellence in everything we do. We are compassionate advocates, improving the lives of our members and the community.
- Vision: We value diversity that unites individuals toward shared goals. Our Leaders draw everyone forward, taking responsibility and inspiring courage to make our aspirations a reality.